It’s lucky number thirteen! In the last podcast episode of 2021, the Chasmo Crew discusses comics and colours as we dive into the work of comic book artist turned dinosaur man Rod Ruth and his retro but innovative 1970s dinosaurs. Marc and Natee interview Raven Amos about dinosaur linework, colour theory and living in Alaska. Is there such a thing as a Dinosaur Proto-Renaissance? Why is Raven Amos an Enemy of Science? Will we work John Sibbick into every damn conversation we have? How hard can Natee roll their eyes? Do we need to censor naughty words, such as Sp*cies R*cognition H*pothesis? All shall be revealed in episode thirteen. Happy New Year!
In the News
- Stegouros is a newly-described, small ankylosaurian from Chile with interesting tail weaponry. Read the paper here.
- Some interesting comparative osteology has been done on the centrosaurine ceratopsid Einiosaurus here.
- Yingliang, an amazingly preserved oviraptorid embryo, still in the egg, has been described here.
- We do not talk about Vectiraptor, as the paper is paywalled and we don’t like theropods anymore. But if you want a link, you can mostly not read it here.
Vintage Dinosaur Art
Rod Ruth (1912 – 1987) was an American comic book artist who dabbled in palaeoart, with rather spectacular results. An Album of Dinosaurs was written by Tom McGowen and appeared in 1972.
Raven Amos is an artist living in Alaska, and one of today’s most exciting palaeoartists. Famous for her bold use of colour theory and linework, Raven is also on a mission to make palaeoart more accessible to people with colour blindness.
- Paletton color scheme designer – has a drop-down menu for viewing colour choices as all major types of colour blindness
- Coblis – colour blindness simulator where you can upload existing images to see how they look to different types of colour blindness
- Raven’s main portfolio site, also including the Gallimaufric Science Podcast
- NeatoShop shirts and More
- Design By Humans shop
- Shirts and Enamel Pins
- Unique one-off signed canvas prints and signed framed photo prints
Thank you for listening to the podcast! Our music was generously provided by Rohan Long. You can purchase his music at Bandcamp, and follow him at Twitter.
By becoming a patron on Patreon, you can help us continue creating podcasts and writing this blog. You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter. See you next time!
paleocharleyFebruary 13, 2022 at 9:13 pm
Some captions for the Ruth pics:
(to Tyrannosaur): “Hope THAT knocks some sense into you!”
(to the lizards): Go! Go, my Pretties and find the Precious!”
(Pterosaur in air): “You killed Kenny! You BASTARD!!!”
‘Kenny’: “I’m not dead yet!”
(turtle, to Iggy): So, that’s the news from Down Under, Mr. Iggy, Sir.”
(to other one): “Dammit, we missed the Ferry! You HAD to do your nails, didn’t you!”
(underwater, in a VERY bad French accent): “Here is the brave explorer searching for the Lost City of Gondwanopolis…”
(3rd Trike away to others in background): “Here we go for the long-anticipated Grudge Match! In the left corner we have “Killer” Joe! And in the right corner, we have “Scar-Face” Al! Place your bets! And remember, Honeys, the Winner gets to MATE with all of ya!”
I don’t know. I’m just in a mood today…